You are here

Bakony House

As Bakony House burnt down, it is closed for an indefinite period!

Next to Dezső Laczkó Museum there is the so-called Bakony House, one of the first Hungarian open-air ethnographical museums. It was built using funds from public donations in 1935 as a replica of a 19th century lower-class nobleman’s landhouse of Öcs. The building was designed and planned by László Nagy (ethnographer) and György Linzmayer (architect).
The three-part building is thatched-roofed and soil floor. In front of its longitudinal façade is a porched parapet with balustrated and pillared veranda ornamented with plaster frame outside. The building represents the most advanced type of that time.

The living quarters are entered through a single door. In the centre there is the kitchen with open chimney and is divided into two: just behind the entrance is the torch and there is the kitchen underneath the open-chimney. On the right of the entrance is a water bench with pots for drinking water. Behind the bench there is an in-wall shelf (“blind hole”) for storing jars and other pots for milk and dairy products. On the left of the entrance there is a bench. Opposite to the bench there is a table made of hardwood at the end of the 18th century and repaired at the beginning of the 19th century, providing space for cooking. Above the lintel separating kitchen and porch there is the shelf for pottery.

In the middle of the back wall of the kitchen there is the masonry oven made of blocks of stone and bricks. Until the invention of cooking stove, they would cook on the top of it. Blocks of woods on fire were propped against firedogs made of iron or used tripods. They would cook and bake in pottery first, and then in pots made of cast-iron. Meat was roasted in roasting dish or spit sometimes, whereas fish was grilled in circular grill.

Bread was baked in the oven. The housewife stood in the loading pit to load the bread into the oven. The front opening was closed with a front plate. To the right of the big oven there was a small oven built to bake milk loaves, cookies, and meat. Behind the small oven there was a ash-pit to collect wood ash they needed to wash clothes.

On both sides of the oven there are so-called fire benches, where they charged the stove in the main room and cooked too. At the end of the bench there is the boiler and the kettle to boil water. Pots full of meal were shoved in with a long-shafted fork called “kurugla”.

All kitchen appliances and utensils to store and prepare food in peasants’ lifestyle typical of the region are displayed (pots, pans, bowls, dishes, ring-cake makers, cups, spoons, and forks). Potteries were made by potters of Veszprém, Szentgál, Nemesleányfalu, Sümeg, Tüskevár, and Kapolcs.

On the left side of the kitchen there is a door to the main room with old-style, angular arrangement of furniture. There is a so-called “chambered” corner bench in the left corner between the two windows; it was made in the 19th century and has a small lockable door opening to a compartment. In front of the bench there is a hardwood table with a big drawer (“bread drawer”) also made in the 19th century, and next to it are two chairs with Barroque-style carved backs dating from 1704. The table is laid for with a red-ornamented woven cloth. Opposite the entrance door there is a single-door and single-drawer brown chest of drawers (“kászli”) reflecting some middle-class influence, with a carved spice holder from the late 18th century and a carved and waxed mouthpiece. Above the drawers there is a mirror with wooden frame hanging on the wall.

To the left of the entrance there is a carved and painted locker of Komárom-style from the 19th century. Above it there is an in-wall mounted inlaid small cabinet with shelves and a door called “falkászli” or “vaklik”, with a long shelf for pottery on the top: this is where painted and glazed art pottery (bowls and plates) were laid.

In the corner opposite the entrance there is a brown bed with piles of duvets and pillows piled on top of one another and covered with a white bed cloth. In front of the bed there are neoclassic chairs from the 19th century with carved back with empire-style ornaments. At the foot of the bed there is an inlaid wardrobe of similar style and age. Next to it there is a arm-bench imitating middle-class styles, a piece of furniture common in lower gentry landhouses. Next to it there is a painted locker of Komárom-style for clothes.

Between the bed and the table there is a home-made wooden chair with a hollow in the centre with an infant learning walking). Near the bed there is a baby in swadling clothes sleeping in a cradle with screens on the side. There is an elderly woman, the grandmother, standing next to her. The third baby is a boy learning walking with a home-made and wooden baby-walker with three wheels.

To the right of the entrance there is a green tile or flap-tile stove with a crown with lace-ornaments on the top made by a Veszprém stove-setter and potter in 1854. There is a wooden arm-chair called the “chair of sorrow”, a seat for the oldest man of the family.

As the house used to be a home for a Calvinist lower-gentry family, there are pictures of the family, a clock, and historical pictures hanging on the wall. The dolls wear dresses of peasant-citizen people of the 1920s and 1930s.

Bakony House
8200 Veszprém, Erzsébet sétány 3.

Opening hours:
from 15 April till 15 October from Tuesday till Sunday between 10.00 and 18.00

Admission fees in 2014  to permanent exhibition in the Bakony House:
Adult: 500 Ft
Student / Pensioner: 300 Ft
Family (2 adults, maximum 4 children): 1100 Ft
Group (minimum 10 adults / students): 400 / 250 Ft